Translate this page:
View Disclaimer
Office Hours - Self-Help Center/Family Law Facilitator's Office

Office Hours, Important Information, and What We Help With
Self-Help Center/Family Law Facilitator's Office

Family Justice Center Courthouse: 201 N. First Street, San Jose, CA


Self-Help Center is open:

Monday to Thursday from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm
Friday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm

Arrive early! People arrive & get in line before the SHC opens. We help people on a first-come-first-served basis and usually run out of available spots soon after we open. So please plan to arrive early and be here for several hours.


Restraining Order Help Center is open:

Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm & 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm


Small Claims Advisor
  • Email: Submit a Small Claims Advisor questionnaire online. This is the best way to contact the Small Claims Advisor.
  • Voicemail: 408-882-2100 (option 2, then 6) Monday-Friday 2:30 pm-4:00 pm
Note: Help is not available in person at the SHC.



We help with the following only in workshops. Please visit our Self-Help Workshops page
for details or take a handout from the lobby display.

  • Start a divorce: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
  • Start a parentage case: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
    afternoons (sign up begins in the morning).
  • Financial Disclosures: 2nd Friday afternoon of the month
  • Finish divorce: Submit a Request to Review online and we will contact you to schedule an appointment.

Dates and times are subject to change without notice.


Important Information
(please read before you visit our office)

  • You must be self represented (not have a lawyer in your case) to qualify for assistance at our office.
  • We cannot give you legal advice or be your lawyer. We can give you legal information and forms, explain the court process, and provide referrals to local resources.
  • Bring an interpreter. For faster assistance, please consider bringing an adult with you who is fluent in English and your language (reading and writing). If you email or call us before you visit our office (see contact information below), we may be able to schedule a court interpreter to help during your visit. Please note: (1) Court interpreters may not be available at the time of your visit for all languages; (2) interpreters cannot complete forms for you.
  • Bring filed copies of your court documents, as we may need to see them before we can help you.
  • Bring income information. Bring proof of your income for now and the last two months to show the source and amount of your income from any and all sources including self employment, disability and any jobs.
  • No kids in the SHC please. For your convenience, we have free daycare available on the first floor of this building. You may visit them in person or contact them at 408-882-2960 to see if your child qualifies for this service.
  • Forms are available online through Guide and File .


What We Help with at the Self-Help Center

This list is meant only as a guide for individuals looking for assistance from our office. The Self-Help Center must evaluate our ability to help each person on an individual basis. If you need help with an issue that our office does not assist with, we suggest you seek legal advice from a private attorney.

Family Court

We Can Help We Cannot Help
• Start/Respond to Dissolution, Legal Separation, • Property Assistance
  or Nullity • QDRO’s
• Start/Respond to Petition to Establish Parentage • Discovery
• Default • Trial Preparation
• Judgment • Collections (except wage
• Custody and Visitation   assignments for support)
• Child Support • Complex cases that require legal advice
• Spousal Support  
• Objection to Mediation or Evaluation  
• Driver’s License Return  
• Joinder (people only, not retirement plans)  
• Judicial Council Discovery Forms  


Landlord/Tenant and Housing

We Can Help We Cannot Help
• Eviction Notices: • Foreclosure
  3-day to Pay or Quit, • Discovery
  30, 60 and 90 day • HOA’s
• Residential Eviction Cases: • Trial Preparation
  Complaints, Answers, • Mobile Homes
  Default/Default Judgment, • Business Tenants
  Set Asides, Stay of Eviction • Discovery


Civil Lawsuits

We Can Help We Cannot Help
We only assist with the following Limited • Motions to Quash
Jurisdiction cases ($25k or less): • Demurrers
 • Start a case for Breach of Contract • Medical Malpractice
 • Answer to a case for Breach of Contract • Real Estates Issues
 • Start a basic Auto Accident case • Collections
 • Answer to a basic Auto Accident case • Appeals
 • Request to Pay Judgment in Installments • Ex Parte Requests
  • Corporations
  • Discovery


Probate Cases

We Can Help We Cannot Help
• Guardianship of the Person only • Guardianship of the Estate
• Terminate/Object to Guardianship • Conservatorship of the Estate
• Petition for Visitation in a Guardianship case • Terminate Conservatorship
• General Conservatorship of the Person only • Adoption
• Limited Conservatorship (through a workshop) • Probate (wills, trusts etc)
• Object to Conservatorship • Real Estate Cases
• Name and/or Gender Change – Adult or Minor • Motions
• Establish Fact of Birth, Death or Marriage • Request to be Special Administrator


(for information and forms)
Our Court's Self-Help Website
California Courts Self-Help Website 
Click Contact the Self-Help Center
then fill out the online form

Click here for a map of the Self-Help Center/Family Law Facilitator’s Office and Courthouse Locations .

Click here for a printable flyer of this page including above map .

© 2019 Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara