Is Guardianship the Same as Adoption?
No. Here are some differences:
|In a Guardianship:
||In an Adoption:
- Parents still have parental rights. They can have reasonable
contact with the child.
- The Court can end a guardianship if the parents become able to
take care of the child.
- Guardians can be supervised by the court.
- The parents’ rights are permanently ended.
- The legal relationship is permanent and is exactly the same as a
- An adoptee inherits from his or her adoptive parent(s), just as
a child would.
- Adoptive families are not supervised by the Court.
More Self-Help pages about Guardianship