Services For Family Members

This page tells you about:

  1. Substance abuse services
  2. Juvenile Dependency Drug Treatment Court
  3. Family Wellness Court
  4. Victim-Witness services and money
  5. Mental health services
  6. Parenting classes
  7. Domestic violence services
  8. Mediation
  9. Family conferencing
  10. Educational services
  11. Health services

  1. Substance abuse services

  2. A lot of kids are in Juvenile Dependency Court because their parents have drug problems. The Court works with the Department of Alcohol and Drug Services  to evaluate and treat the parents.

    • Drug assessment:

      You can get drug abuse assessment right away at the Family Justice Center Courthouse (Drug Court). Your lawyer can help you make an appointment.

    • Treatment plan:

      An expert will make a treatment plan. That can be:

      • In-patient or residential treatment
      • Living in a therapeutic housing unit (THU)
      • Serious out-patient treatment
      • AA/NA meetings
      • Getting a sponsor
      • Drug tests, or
      • Other things like going to the Juvenile Dependency Drug Treatment court

  3. Juvenile Dependency Drug Treatment Court

  4. This is a special court for parents who have drug problems. The parents sign a contract with the Court for treatment. And they agree to be supervised. A team from the Court supervises the parent.

    Your lawyer can give you an application for Drug Court.

    View the Juvenile Dependency Treatment Court Policies and Procedures Manual .

    Goal of Dependency Drug Treatment Court:

    The goal of the Juvenile Drug Court is to give parents with drug problems the support and services they need.

    The Dependency Drug Treatment Court tries to:

    • Give the parents drug abuse assessment right away.
    • Make a drug treatment plan for every parent.
    • Treat every parent with a drug problem right away. The treatment will be appropriate. It will meet the needs of each parent.
    • Check up on every parent in regular court appearances. Social Services and the substance abuse provider also supervise the parent.
    • Give the parents reasons to do well, and make them take responsibility.
    • Work with service providers, other courts, and the community to make sure that the parents and children have the resources they need while they recover and when the parents move back to the community.
    • Help parents to reach their goals and go back to living normal lives as soon as possible. The court tries to give the parents a chance to get custody of their children.

  5. Family Wellness Court

  6. The Family Wellness Court for babies and toddlers helps women with drug and alcohol problems to  become better parents and be reunited with their children as a family. The program involves many community organizations and the Court working together.

    The Family Wellness Court serves 100 families per year and accepts eight to ten new families on a monthly basis. Social workers at the Department of Family and Children’s Services identify families who may be eligible for this program.

    Families in the program have children who were born drug exposed or who have been raised around substance abuse. There also may be a history of abuse and/or neglect.

    Read the Family Wellness Court FAQ's  for more information about this program.

  7. Victim-Witness services and money:

  8. Victims of crime can get services and money including up to $10,000 for mental health treatment.

    • If you are a direct victim of crime, you can get these services. You can get services if you saw domestic violence (even a child). You can also get these services if you take care of a child who saw crime, like domestic violence.

    • To get these services, contact the social worker on the case. Or, contact the Victim-Witness program:

      777 North First Street, Suite 220
      San Jose, CA 95112
      (408) 286-9663 


  9. Mental health services

  10. If you have a mental health problem, call the Santa Clara County Department of Mental Health for services at:

    Or, go to their website: .

  11. Parenting classes

  12. The Court often orders parents to parenting classes. This can be part of their case plan. There are many parenting classes in different languages. But, for the class to count for your case plan, the social worker has to approve it.

    The Court can also order a parent to go to a Parenting Without Violence Class. This is a special class for parents who have been violent with their children.

  13. Domestic violence services

  14. Many families go to juvenile court because one of the parents is violent. Or, because the parents have a violent relationship. The Dependency Court can make orders to stop the violence.
    • Domestic violence assessments:

      The Dependency Court can order 1 or both parents to have a domestic violence assessment. This shows what services the parents need.

    • Batterer’s Intervention Services:

      The Dependency Court can order the abuser (batterer) to go to a batterer’s program. These programs last 52 weeks.

    • Other family services:

      The court can order a parent to go to:
      • Anger management classes
      • Parenting without violence classes
      • Counseling, or
      • Other services that can end the violence in the family

      The Court can order caretakers to take the children to counseling or assessments. This can help them deal with the violence they saw.

    • Services for victims of domestic violence:

      The Court can tell a victim where to get help. Usually, the Court recommends a domestic violence agency. These agencies have different services for victims of violence, like:

      • Advocacy
      • Domestic violence advocates
      • Legal help
      • Group meetings
      • Temporary housing
  15. Mediation

  16. The Dependency Court has mediation for all the families that go to the court. Mediation is private. Two mediators meet with both sides and the lawyers. They try to agree on a plan that is best for the child.

    Anyone can ask for mediation at any time. But, only the court can decide if you can go to mediation. The Court will set the date and tell the mediators.

    You can have a mediator that speaks Spanish.

    The mediators will know if the petition says there was domestic violence. They will know if one of the parties is an abuser. They will take special steps to make sure that the mediation is safe for everyone.

    Mediation Protocol & Domestic Violence Protocol in Mediation Cases 
  17. Family conferencing

  18. The Department of Family and Children’s Services has Family Conferencing. A family conference is when the family, friends, a specialist and others get together. They talk about how to take care of and protect a child. The social worker decides to have a Family Conference.
    To learn more, call:
    (408) 975-5100 
  19. Educational services

  20. The Dependency Court tries to make sure every child gets the education they need.

    Some of the things they can do are:

    • Test the child to find out what kind of education they need.
    • Make an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) if one of the parties asks for it.
    • If the child doesn’t live at home, they’ll try to take them to the school they went to when they lived at home.
    • If the child doesn’t live with the parents, and the parents can’t participate in the child’s education, the court can take away the parents’ rights to make educational decisions. The court will ask the SELPA (Special Education Local Plan Area) Office to name an “educational surrogate” for the child.
  21. Health services

  22. The person who takes care of the child has to make sure the child gets health care. The health specialists in the Department of Family and Children’s Services and the Public Health Agency will help.

    The Health and Education Passport will keep a record of the child’s health. This will follow the child wherever they go. Parents should tell the social worker if the child has special health needs.

For more information, check out the list of Juvenile Resources.
© 2017 Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara